gracecheung604 | write on time: Edulis and My First Sawagani!

Monday, July 08, 2013

Edulis and My First Sawagani!

Dinner #2 on a Toronto night. We had just finished checking out the Happy Hour at Hapa Izakaya, but I really wanted to try this place, and my time in the city was running out. Located in King West, Edulis was on my to-eat list, having recently been voted one of the Best 50 Restaurants in Canada for 2013. 
IMG_3546 bFor starters, the waiter brought over some Stuffed Olive Skewers. The cube of bread is supposed to help minimize the saltiness of the anchovy stuffed olive. And there is extra bread and butter as well. I am an anchovy fan, as well as an olive fan, but I usually prefer them in martinis. I don't think I've tried an anchovy stuffed olive before, so that was quite unique, at least for me. 
IMG_3549 These are the cutest little things and it seemed wrong to eat them...but I did anyways. In fact, I ate all of them, they are small freshwater crabs from Japan, call Sawagani. Deep fried to a crunch, they are very reminiscent of deep fried prawn heads. See a post on those from Guu in Vancouver. Mostly crunch, with a bit of meat in the middle. I don't know the etiquette when it comes to eating these, but I went for the extremities first. 
revueltoThe next dish was a Revuelto with Mushrooms. Essentially, this is a Spanish dish of scrambled eggs. There are mushrooms in there as well, we are at Edulis after all, had to get something with mushrooms, wouldn't you agree? The eggs were softly scrambled, somewhere between liquid and solid. The mushrooms were earthy and amazingly fresh, and provided a good balance to the egg.  
IMG_3551 The third dish was the Wagyu Beef, which we only added because the server told us it wasn't a large portion. The pieces were very tender, even though it was very rare, likely due to the fat being so well marbled. The shallots gave the dish a light feel, even though the beef was so rich.   
IMG_3553 And deciding to forego dessert was an easy choice, but the cheese selections of the evening were harder to pass up. There was a creamy cow's milk cheese called Baluchon, as well as two other hard cheeses. The nuts and crostini were perfect accompaniments to end this meal.

Take Note:


  • Small restaurant, can get very loud
  • Tasting Menu (Carte Blanche) starts at just $50
  • Menu changes frequently, but sweetbreads and Foie Gras frequently served
Edulis on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...